5 Inspiring Videos from 2013 Social Good Summit
Al Gore, Ian Somerhalder, Malala Yousafzi, RYOT News and the United Nations Jan Eliasson
Al Gore, Ian Somerhalder, Malala Yousafzi, RYOT News and the United Nations Jan Eliasson took center stage at the Social Good Summit during UN Week in New York City this week. To bring you the inside scoop, we captured these five inspirational videos from the third row at the 92Y on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
1. Malala Magic – After receiving a standing ovation, Malala Yousafzai (Educational Campaigner) took center stage. Malala gave the audience chills talking about how what seems to be an impossible dream of education for all girls is similar to the dreams of Martin Luther King. Shiza Shahid (Executive Director, The Malala Fund) spoke about how everyone can get involved thru social media and The Malala Fund. And then Moderator Elizabeth Gore asked Malala why she would not shoot the man who shot her.
2. Ian Somerhalder (Vampire Diaries) accepts Golden Goody Award – On the 92Y rooftop in NYC, Actor and Activist Ian Somerhalder (Vampire Diaries) accepted the Goody Awards’ top honor, a Golden Goody Award (our top humanitarian award). Ian thanked his fans for voting for him on Twitter, and emphasized the importance of compassion. Check out Ian’s reaction to this surprise award ceremony based on a request from his Ian Somerhalder Foundation (ISF) team to keep it a secret (not easy.)
3. Al Gore gives 2013 Global Warming Reality Check – Former Vice President Al Gore gave a global warming reality talk at the 2013 Social Good Summit. By sharing global warming facts and examples of Boulder floods and Superstorm Sandy, the crowd was energized. Al Gore (Climate Reality) also shares global warming solutions with solar power and wind power on top of the list.
4. RYOT News Founders and Ian Somerhalder at Social Good Summit – RYOT News Co-Founders Bryn Mooser and David Darg and Actor Ian Somerhalder (RYOT News Advisory Board) rocked the Social Good Summit with their views on why actionable news is so important for making change happen. Host and Mashable CEO Pete Cashmore moderated this discussion about how RYOT News and social media can empower global citizens.
5. Water is Development, Peace and Human Rights – UN Deputy Secretary General Jan Eliasson spoke to the 2013 Social Good Summit about how clean water and sanitation can end extreme poverty by 2030. With a glass of New York City tap water in his hand, Jan declared, “Water is development. Water is human rights, and Water is peace.” He expanded by sharing 2.5 million people don’t have sanitation (toilets) and calls for “toilets for all.” With 2,000 children under the age of 5 are dying every day, Jan gives a call for action for innovation to end this extreme poverty in the world by 2030.
For more Social Good Summit videos, visit our Goody Awards YouTube Channel http://youtube.com/goodyawards
© Goody Awards 2013